SERVES 4 V D P C Q
½ cup navy beans, soaked in cold water overnight
8 oz/225 g green beans, trimmed
¼ red onion, thinly sliced
12 black olives, pitted
1 tbsp snipped chives
½ tbsp lemon juice
½ tsp Dijon mustard
6 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
salt and pepper
1. Drain the navy beans and place in a saucepan. Cover with fresh water and bring to a boil. Boil rapidly for 15 minutes, then reduce the heat slightly and cook for 30 minutes, or until tender but not disintegrating. Add salt in the last 5 minutes of cooking. Drain and set aside.
2. Meanwhile, cook the green beans in a large saucepan of boiling water for 4 minutes, or until just tender but still brightly colored and crunchy. Drain and set aside.
3. Whisk the lemon juice, mustard, oil, and salt and pepper to taste, together in a bowl, then let stand.
4. While both types of bean are still slightly warm, tip them into a shallow serving dish or arrange on 4 serving plates. Scatter over the onion slices, olives, and chives.
5. Whisk the dressing again and spoon over the salad. Serve at room temperature.