SERVES 4 V D C Q
½ cup walnut pieces
2 tbsp maple syrup
2 large pears
juice of ½ lemon
2 heads of chicory, separated into leaves
3 oz/85 g bleu cheese
4 tbsp olive oil
1 tbsp white wine vinegar
½ level tsp superfine sugar
½ level tsp Dijon mustard
salt and pepper
1. Preheat the broiler to medium–high. Tip the walnuts into a bowl and add the maple syrup. Stir thoroughly to coat the nuts then layer them on a broiler pan covered with foil, leaving any surplus syrup in the bowl. Cook under the preheated broiler for about 2 minutes, or until the nuts are hot and the syrup slightly bubbling. Remove from heat and let cool.
2. Peel, core, and slice the pears lengthwise. Brush each slice with a little lemon juice to prevent discoloration.
3. Mix all the vinaigrette ingredients together in a small bowl.
4. Place the chicory leaves in a bowl and add 4 tablespoons of the vinaigrette. Use your hands to toss together so that the leaves are coated. Add extra dressing, if necessary. Add the pear slices and gently toss again.
5. Divide the salad among 4 serving plates, then crumble the cheese over. Sprinkle the cooled, caramelized walnuts over to serve.