SERVES 4 V D C
3 tbsp pine nuts
2 red onions, chopped
4 tbsp olive oil
2 garlic cloves, crushed
3 slices whole wheat bread, cubed
7 oz/200 g mixed salad greens
9 oz/250 g cremini mushrooms, sliced
5½ oz/150 g shiitake mushrooms, sliced
5½ oz/150 g oyster mushrooms, torn
1 garlic clove, crushed
2 tbsp red wine vinegar
4 tbsp walnut oil
1 tbsp finely chopped fresh parsley
1. Preheat the oven to 350°F/180°C. Heat a nonstick skillet over medium heat. Add the pine nuts and lightly toast until just browned. Tip into a bowl and set aside.
2. Place the onions and 1 tablespoon of the oil in a roasting pan and toss to coat. Roast in the preheated oven for 30 minutes.
3. Meanwhile, heat 1 tablespoon of the remaining oil with the garlic in the skillet over high heat. Add the bread and cook for 5 minutes, or until brown and crisp. Remove from the pan and set aside.
4. Divide the salad greens among 4 serving plates and add the roasted onions.
5. To make the dressing, whisk the garlic, vinegar, and oil together in a bowl. Stir in the parsley and season with pepper to taste. Drizzle over the salad and onions.
6. Heat the remaining oil in a skillet. Add the cremini and shiitake mushrooms and cook for 2–3 minutes, stirring frequently. Add the oyster mushrooms and cook for an additional 2–3 minutes. Divide the hot mushroom mixture among the 4 plates. Scatter over the pine nuts and croutons and serve.