SERVES 4–6 V D P C Q
1 lb/450 g asparagus spears
14 oz/400 g canned artichoke hearts, drained and rinsed
salad greens, to serve
2 tbsp freshly squeezed orange juice
½ tsp finely grated orange rind
2 tbsp walnut oil
1 tsp Dijon mustard
salt and pepper
1. Trim and discard the coarse, woody ends of the asparagus spears. Make sure all the stems are the same length, then tie them together loosely with clean kitchen string. If you have an asparagus steamer, you don’t need to tie the stems together—just place them in the basket.
2. Cook the asparagus in a tall saucepan of lightly salted, boiling water over medium heat for 5 minutes, or until tender. Make sure that the tips protrude above the water. Drain, then refresh under cold running water and drain again.
3. Cut the asparagus spears into 1-inch/2.5-cm pieces, keeping the tips intact. Cut the artichoke hearts into small wedges and combine with the asparagus in a bowl.
4. Whisk the orange juice, orange rind, walnut oil, and mustard together in a bowl and season with salt and pepper to taste. If serving immediately, pour the dressing over the artichoke hearts and asparagus and toss lightly.
5. To serve, arrange the salad greens in individual serving dishes and top with the artichoke and asparagus mixture.